Pipe your survey responses and understand more about your respondents' choices to your survey question.
Answer Piping lets you pipe your survey responses and understand more about your respondents' choices to your survey question. Currently, the answer piping can be done for the following question types.
- Multiple Choice
- Picture Choice
- Rank Order
- Constant Sum
Let’s see how it works.
1. Start a blank survey or choose one from the existing templates.
2. Create a Source Question first and pipe your responses to it by adding a follow-up question.
3. To create a source question, choose any of these question types - Multiple Choice, Picture Choice, Rank Order, or Dropdown.
4. In our example, we’re going with a Picture Choice Question.
5. Enable "Multiple Answers" toggle only if you allow your respondents to choose multiple options.
6. Once done, click "Add Next Question" to proceed.
7. Now, create a follow-up question in order to pipe the responses of your source question.
8. Choose any of these question types for the follow-up question - Multiple Choice, Picture Choice, Rank Order, Drop-down,or Matrix.
9. In our example, let us go with a Matrix Question Type as we're trying to know for what reasons the respondents chose their favorite countries in the primary question.
10. Once done, click on Pipe Answer, and choose the source question & answer options from their respective drop-downs.
11. You can choose any of these answer options to be displayed in the final piping.
- All the choices:This will display all the options that you've given for the source question.
- Selected Choices:This displays only the choices chosen by the respondents.
- Unselected Choices:This displays the choices that are not chosen by the respondents.
Here's a preview of the survey:
Follow-up Question: Matrix Question Type
Let's go with the same source question here, but with a different question type for the follow-up question.
In the follow-up question, if you wish to know the rank preference of the countries that your respondent has chosen in the primary question, you can select Rank Order Question Type to achieve this.
Once done, click on Pipe Answer, and choose the source question and answer options, from their respective drop downs. That's it! Now we'll see a preview of the survey.
Follow-up Question: Rank Order Question Type
- Add the Source Question first and then go for the follow-up question.
- Matrix Question Type is supported only in the Follow-Up question.
- You can create as many sections as you want and pipe your responses between different sections. You can also pipe your responses between multiple questions too without creating a section.
- Be careful while dragging or rearranging the question orders in the survey. There are chances your Answer Piping would be broken if the questions are in the wrong order.
- Answer options like "All the Above & None of the Above" will not work for Answer Piping.
- Without a source question, you cannot create Answer Piping. An error message like this will appear.
And that's how you'll be able to fetch responses accordingly using answer piping. See you in the next one :)
Please reach out to us if you have any questions. We are just a chat away!