An overview of how to calculate the average score and response percentage.
Let us see how it’s done.
1. Create a rank order question with multiple answer choices and share it with your respondents.
2. Navigate to the Results -> Responses. When your survey gets new responses, you will find the respondents’ choices to your rank order question aligned in their chosen order. Refer to the screenshot below.
3. Here, We’ve got 5 survey responses for this survey.
Now, let's dive deep into the calculation part.
Average Score and Response Percentage Calculation
To calculate the average score, you should know the individual score first.
Calculating the individual score:
Let's take a survey response for an example:
Television, Mobile, Laptop, Tablet, Computer
In this example:
- The score of the first choice is 1. (Regardless of the number of choices, the score of the first choice is always 1)
- In our example, the total number of answer choices is 5.
Now, let's divide 1 by the total number of answer choices, which is 1/5 = 0.2. The scores of the remaining answer choices are consecutively reduced by 0.2.
So the individual scores are
Television (1), Mobile (0.8), Laptop (0.6), Tablet (0.4), Computer (0.2)
Similarly, we've calculated the individual scores for all the survey responses. Here’re they:
- Television (1), Mobile (0.8), Laptop (0.6), Tablet (0.4) , Computer (0.2)
- Laptop (1), Mobile (0.8) , Tablet (0.6) , Television (0.4), Computer (0.2)
- Laptop (1) , Television (0.8) , Mobile (0.6), Computer (0.4) , Tablet (0.2)
- Laptop (1), Mobile (0.8) , Television (0.6) , Computer (0.4), Tablet (0.2)
- Mobile (1), Laptop (0.8) , Television (0.6), Tablet (0.4), Computer (0.2)
Calculating the average score
Now that we’ve derived the individual scores, the next step is to calculate the average score. To calculate the average, you have to add all the individual scores in each of the survey responses.
- Mobile = 4.00 (0.8 + 0.8 + 0.6 + 0.8 + 1 = 4.00)
- Television = 3.40 (1 + 0.6 + 0.8 + 0.6 + 0.6 = 3.40)
- Computer = 1.40 (0.2 + 0.2 + 0.4 + 0.4 + 0.2 = 1.40)
- Laptop = 4.40 (0.6 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4.40)
- Tablet = 1.80 (0.4 + 0.4 + 0.2 + 0.2 + 0.4 = 1.80)
Hence the average score of all the answer choices is also derived.
Calculating the Response Percentage
Response Percentage = Average Score / Total Number of survey responses * 100
Total Number of survey responses = 5
- Response Percentage of Television = 2.40/5*100 = 16.00%
- Response Percentage of Computer = 4.0/5*100 = 26.67%
- Response Percentage of Laptop = 2.60/5*100 = 17.33%
- Response Percentage of Tablet = 3.0/5*100 = 20%
- Response Percentage of Mobile = 3.0/5*100 = 20%
Now, navigate to Results tab and go to Reports. You’ll be able to see the values of average score and response percentage of all the choices as we derived them.
Please refer to the screenshot below for better understanding.
- The score of the first choice will always be 1, irrespective of the total number of choices.
- After dividing 1 by the total number of choices, the value you derive should be reduced consecutively for the following answer choices.
- The formula for the average score is the summation of all the individual scores.
- It is important to know the number of survey responses in order to calculate the response percentage.
That's it! Hope you found this article helpful.
Please reach out to us if you have any questions. We are just a chat away!