Configure custom email addresses of your preference to send out your email surveys.
When you send out your survey by email, the default email address the survey is sent with has SurveySparrow's domain (email@example.com). But, if you wish to have a custom domain for the email address instead, like firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, you can do so using the Custom Email Feature.
By following the below steps, you can put across your organization's domain while sending out surveys offering a more personalized experience.
Custom Email configuration can be done using the below steps:
1. Sign in to your SurveySparrow account.
2. On your account home page, click Settings, and under Email Settings, go to Email.
3. Select Own mail via SurveySparrow and define the Sender's Name and your Custom Email Address in the appropriate fields.
4. Click Add Email to add a new email with a custom domain for sharing your surveys. The email address which you've given in the placeholder will receive an email with a verification link.
5. Click the link sent to your email to confirm your email address verification.
Configure the DNS records in your server
1. Sign in to the domain provider account and open administrator tools.
2. Go to the DNS settings. Select Manage DNS to access your DNS records.
3. Under DNS management, there will be DNS records that are already available.
Adding the DKIM record
4. Copy the generated DKIM record’s Name and Value from the Domain tab under Email Settings.
5. On your DNS, add a new record of the type - TXT. Enter the Name and Value details copied from your SurveySparrow account on Host and TXT Value, respectively.
6. Click Save.
Adding the SPF record
Sender Policy Framework(SPF) confirms that SurveySparrow has permission to email from your domain. It enables better email deliverability which in turn contributes to improving your open rate.
We suggest adding the SPF record to your DNS for enhanced email performance.
7. Under the Domain section of Email Settings, copy the Name and Value of your SPF record.
8.a) If there is no existing record- Add a new DNS record of the type - TXT. Enter the Name and Value details copied from your SurveySparrow on Host and TXT Value fields, respectively.
8.b) If there is an already existing record- Something like the below record,
|TXT||yourdomain.com||v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com -all||Default|
|TXT||yourdomain.com||v=spf1 include:servers.mcsv.net -all||Default|
Please do not create 2 different entries, rather merge those 2 values and add then as below
|TXT||yourdomain.com||v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com include:servers.mcsv.net -all||Default|
9. Click Save.
Verification in SurveySparrow
1. Head back to your SurveySparrow account and click Verify Records under the added custom domain.
2. Once the verification is completed successfully, the DKIM records will reflect as verified and the SPF record as checked.
3. Head back to the email settings for custom email and click Make Default to make an email address your default email for sharing surveys.
4. You can add multiple entries in this section in case of more than one custom mailbox.
5. After verifying the email and domain from the configured mailbox, the newly configured custom email addresses will reflect on your email shares on the Send From placeholder.
6. Now, you can send surveys from the custom email address of your choice!
Using this setup, you will have configured Send From email addresses to use in the email share based on a drop-down value. This will allow you to choose the best one when you have many support emails and employ your own email address to establish trust.
Add the SPF record to your DNS to achieve higher email deliverability
- You need to verify that your custom email address is indeed your own domain. For this, you must update your DNS records on your domain host with the generated DKIM value. Once a custom email address has been added, the DKIM value will NOT be valid after 14 days from creation for verification. Please refer to the FAQ section to regenerate a new DKIM record
- Steps to configure DNS records might vary based on where you are hosting your domain. Please contact your web hosting company for more help. The method, however, remains the same
- If your Domain Host asks for a TTL (Time-To-Live), you can enter a value between 30 minutes to 1 hour or leave it blank or default. Once these steps are completed, do anticipate a buffer time of at most 24 hours for the DNS configuration, depending on the domain host
- Domain verification may take up to 24 hours from the time of the request
How to regenerate a DKIM record when the value expires before verification?
You can generate a new DKIM record by following the steps below.
1. Go to Settings.
2. Under Email Settings, click Email.
3. For the corresponding custom domain added, click Verify Records.
4. Since the present DKIM values have expired, click Regenerate Value.
5. Update your DNS record with the newly generated value.
6. Follow the steps mentioned under Verification in SurveySparrow to verify your custom domain.
That’s it! Please reach out to us if you have any questions. We are just a chat away!